Monday, August 28, 2006

Kind of a mixed bag this weekend to be honest. I ran my last planned 2's volleyball tournament of the season on Saturday with a really nice turnout of 28 teams for the day. It was a little hard to get all of the brackets set up but we managed to run 3 full elimination sets by the end. I had a tough day personally, just could not get the motor running at ALL!!! I would say it was my worst emotional meltdown of the summer by far, not the way I wanted to end the summer at all. It's frustrating as I feel like I battle against myself emotionally all day long, something I have been pretty good about this summer and made significant strides at in the last few years. I just seem incapable some days of bringing down my competitiveness a notch while still playing the way I would like, not sure if there is an answer to be honest. The one good note was that my partner and I finished better playing 4 straight string games at the end to finish 3rd in the middle bracket, losing 19-21 to another team that could easily have been in the upper bracket and ended up winning the middle one. My brother played in this event as well and it was great to see him as usual, having Janelle, Amy and John there certainly helped me keep somewhat of a lid on things for most of the day. Sunday I played in the D&D event and was able to manage MUCH better. I think not having to worry about the organizing side of things does wonders for my psyche as I am also trying to pla. I finished 4th out of 16 guys and managed to beat both Dave Dickman and Jesse Paulson (True top-flight AA men in the area) in my pool to win it. I then lost 2 1-1 splits by points in my next matches. Oh well.....at least my string of 5 straight top 4 finishes is intact for the D&D tournaments over the last 2 summers. Not too shabby I guess. I am in the planning stages for my final hosted event of the summer, that being a reverse coed 4's grass event on Labor Day for charity. Looks like we might have a nice turnout for the event and I am excited to see who might show up. I am really ready to get back indoors for some indoor play, my first love of volleyball, and getting back together with my men's team. Most of the leagues and play for this format start within a month or so. Other then that work and the usual life stuff keeps me out of trouble for the most part.

No comments: